[pmwiki-users] {(...)} markup recipe available

Ben Stallings ben at interdependentweb.com
Wed Apr 11 12:53:40 CDT 2007

pmwiki-users-request at pmichaud.com wrote:
>> I've now published my version of the {(...)} markup as a recipe,
>> available at
>>
>>     http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/MarkupExpressions
>>
>> The description on the recipe page only scratches the surface of
>> what the recipe can do.

Nicely done, Pm!  I particularly like how if you label the arguments,
you can use them out of order, because with PHP functions I'm forever
forgetting which order they're supposed to go in and have to look them
up in the documentation every blessed time.

With some tweaking of the Markup definitions, this recipe might be able
to coexist peacefully with the existing {( ? : )} ternary logic markup
used in SelectQuery for the past year.  Or a variant of that markup,
compatible with PmWiki's conditionals, could be included in
MarkupExpressions.  I envision something like,

Christmas is {(gt 2007-12-25 (ftime "%F" now) ? coming! : past!)}

which otherwise would have to be written as

Christmas is
(:if gt 2007-12-25 {(ftime "%F" now)}:)coming!
(:else:)past!
(:ifend:)

Would that be useful?  Or should SelectQuery try to phase out its
ternary markup to avoid confusion with the new recipe?  --Ben