[pmwiki-users] extra guidelines for recipe publishing

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Apr 10 02:34:24 CDT 2007

On 4/9/07, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 10:54:31AM +0100, Hans wrote:
> > Monday, April 9, 2007, 10:18:41 AM, Hans wrote:
> >
> > > Maybe all I am missing is some tricks how to construct a zip archive
> > > with the correct path information for all files, which can unzip into
> > > several folders, i.e. into cookbook/ and pub/ and creating a subfolder
> > > in each.
> >
> > I like Hagan's package (=your recipe name) proposal from
> > http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/ModuleGuidelines :
> >
> > package-0.01/
> > |-- cookbook
>
> I like Hagan's approach as well, except I normally don't have a
> top-level "package-0.01" directory but assume that packages are
> unpacking directly into the pmwiki root:
>
>     |-- cookbook/
>     |   |-- package.php
>     |   `-- package/
>     |       |-- README.txt
>     |       |-- LICENSE.txt
>     |       ...etc...
>     `-- pub
>         `-- package
>             |-- package.js
>             |-- package.jpg
>             ...etc...

I believe when I wrote that proposal and created the accompanying
"recipe jumpstart" archives (some time ago) I changed from a "just
unpack" procedure to the "unpack, then copy" one for several reasons.
Here are a few:

1) It's a bit scary to encourage people to unzip a directory tree of
files directly into the PmWiki root, don't you think?

2) It permits easy comparison of old and new versions of a recipe.

3) It makes reverting to a previous version of a recipe easier, should
the need (suddenly) arise.

Hagan