[pmwiki-users] UTF-8 case insensitive index (was: UTF-8 ascoredefault encoding)

Athan foxx at freemail.gr
Fri Apr 6 23:59:39 CDT 2007

"Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote in message
news:20070406155410.GA9559 at host.pmichaud.com...
> I didn't realize that closed-source projects were any better in this
> regard.  If you have a feature that you want added to a closed-sourced
> product, does it occur any quicker than with open source ones?

If we're talking about bug-free new features, customer support and
documentation yes my experience is much better with "closed-sourced"
commercial products. As already said before, I admit that there are (many)
exceptions to that rule. That's why I'm using FreeBSD, Apache, Postfix and
of course pmwiki.

> How many years was it until Microsoft Vista was released?  Are all of
> the promised features present?  Does Vista have any unfixed bugs in it?

First I don't like Vista but that's not the case. However, I wouldn't
compare an OS with tens of millions lines of c/asm code with simple
opensource projects. Btw Vista was developed in less time than Perl6, linux
kernel v2, xWin X11 etc...

> Some features just take a while to develop properly... this is true
> regardless of whether a product is open source or closed source, if it's
> being developed by volunteers or paid employees, and whether it's
> available without cost or purchased.

Agreed.

Athan