[pmwiki-users] Meetup? Drupal?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Sep 28 16:43:06 CDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 05:15:02PM -0400, Crisses wrote:
>    On Sep 28, 2006, at 1:15 PM, Sandy wrote:
>
>      If not for your need for RSVP, I'd suggest PmWiki plus a mailing list.
>
>    Can someone explain this feature that's needed?  Maybe there's a way to
>    handle it?

If it's anything like what I've experienced with meetup.com,
RSVP is just a way to indicate members' intent to appear or
not appear at a particular event.  It's really useful for
organizing meetings among small groups, because one can quickly
gauge the level of participation that is likely to be present
for any particular meeting.

For example, there's a Xanadu group that meets regularly here
in the Dallas area, but it can be a long drive for some,
and sometimes members' schedules mean that only one or two
people can make the meeting.  Meetup's RSVP feature lets
each of us indicate our expectation of attendance via a
simple click, and gives people a better idea of whether
the meeting will be worth juggling other events or making
a long trip for.

The "comment" feature I'm writing now would be able to
handle it easily; it could be a link that instantly adds
the author's name to a "yes I'm coming" or "no I can't
make it" block within a page.  An RSVP page would contain
(along with any other markup):

    Can you make it to this event?

    [[#yes]] Yes I'm coming!

    [[#no]] No, I can't make it.

Then someone can simply activate links such as

    .../pmwiki.php/Group/RSVP?action=insert&type=rsvp&anchor=[[#yes]]
    .../pmwiki.php/Group/RSVP?action=insert&type=rsvp&anchor=[[#no]]

to have their author name added immediately below either
the [[#yes]] or [[#no]] anchors in the page.  And anyone watching
the RSVP page would get an email notification that someone
had RSVP'd.