[pmwiki-users] RFC: Ratings Redux

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Sep 27 12:33:01 CDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 12:00:20PM -0500, Ben Wilson wrote:
> On 9/27/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > I don't think we need a "rating" for this -- a simple [[!Unsupported]]
> > category tag will do.
>
> Perhaps we should consider an included flag instead of just a category
> tag? I regret to use the example of Wikipedia.[1] However, that page
> provides a fine example for reference. Let's use "unsupported" as an
> example. If a recipe is unsupported, then we could put the following
> markup at the top of the page:
>
> (:include Site.PageFlags#unsupported#unsupportedend:)
>
> This markup would provide a colorful banner informing the reader of
> the unsupported nature of the recipe (perhaps even encouraging the
> reader become a foster parent of the page?). In that banner would also
> be the [[!PageFlaggedUnsupported]] category, which should help  list
> which pages need assistance.

...except that the [[!PageFlaggedUnsupported]] category would apply
to the included page, and not the ones doing the (:include:).

Still, this could be fixed via a custom markup...

> In the alternative, perhaps (:flag unsupported:) would magically
> accomplish the same task via pre-(:include:) markup replacement?

I'd greatly prefer (:unsupported:) over (:flag unsupported:).
It would be nice to also come up with a list of other potential
markers.

But in thinking about it more, I still think the [[!Unsupported]]
approach may be superior.  Instead of trying to substitute an
include at the point of a markup flag, we could have the include
be handled automatically by the Category.GroupHeader:

    (:if target Category.Unsupported:)
    (:include Cookbook.Unsupported:)
    (:if:)

The "target" condition would ask "is there a link from this page
to Category.Unsupported", and if true then we'd include the contents
of the Cookbook.Unsupported page.  This has the advantage of
always putting the "unsupported" notice (as well as any others we
may dream up) at the top of each recipe page, regardless of where
the [[!Unsupported]] category markup appears in the recipe text.