[pmwiki-users] bibliographies revisited

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Sep 26 23:00:25 CDT 2006

On Wednesday, 27 September 2006 2:31 PM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 01:58:49PM +1200, John Rankin wrote:
>Well, in the core distribution page text variables only work
>if they're on lines by themselves.  But a recipe can device
>additional lookups for page text variables, so that Cite: could
>potentially be recognized no matter where it occurs within a
>page.

In the first (and possibly second and third) instance, we
would support publishing a page or page collection and
its associated citations. However, the ability to generate
a list of references used in a specified set of pages may
be a future development. Currently, it's a low priority.
I am happy that the hooks are there if we need them.

>> I'm hoping that an author will be able to write
>> (using this markup for illustration and making no promises)
>>
>> [[Cite:Hawking et al. (2006)]]
>
>I very much like this particular markup.
>
>> and it will be able to deduce the ref-id page name from that,
>> where the page name might be Bibliography.HawkingOthers-2006.
>
>Since each InterMap prefix can have its own custom link function,
>there should be a lot of room for code to properly deduce the ref-id,
>even if there's some ambiguity.

Yes and if we leave the door open for multiple citations per wiki
page, we might be able to recognise that (for example)

[[Cite:Hawking et al. (2006c)]]

refers to the third citation on page Bibliography.HawkingOthers-2006.
A citation forms interface would have to add a new citation to the
end of an existing page, to avoid breaking existing references.

Of course multiple citations per page makes BibTeX import / export
a bit harder. You always have to pay the piper [1].

I do not mean to imply that (a) the only time you would have
multiple citations per wiki page is if they share the same
ref-id [2]; (b) we are committed to supporting multiple citations
per wiki page. We should probably implement this in a way that
will allow multiple citations per page to be added, if it isn't
in the first release.

--
JR
--

[1] for non-English audiences: there is an English expression,
"He who pays the piper calls the tune", a corollary of which is

[2] of course, if you want to refer to a citation on a multiple
citations wiki page *and* have the reference produce "nice"
link text, it gets a bit harder; for example:

[[Cite:CasualCitations#Hawking et al. (2006)]]

This says extract the citation that would be on a page called
HawkingOthers-2006 (so we only have one set of rules to apply)
from the page called CasualCitations.