[pmwiki-users] bibliographies revisited

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Sep 26 21:31:18 CDT 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 01:58:49PM +1200, John Rankin wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 September 2006 1:02 PM, Crisses <crisses at kinhost.org> wrote:
> >>    Cite:ref-id (behaves like a special intermap, but implies
> >>    [[Cite:ref-id | alternate text]] is allowed and IMO the
> >>    reference style should be standardised so alternate text
> >>    would at best be deprecated and may be disallowed)
> >
> >Note -- this now becomes an accessible page variable!!  {$:Cite} also
> >accessible via pagelists!
>
> I have fallen behind on this new feature. IIUC you mean we
> could extract a list of all the references on a page????

Well, in the core distribution page text variables only work
if they're on lines by themselves.  But a recipe can device
additional lookups for page text variables, so that Cite: could
potentially be recognized no matter where it occurs within a page.

> I'm hoping that an author will be able to write
> (using this markup for illustration and making no promises)
>
> [[Cite:Hawking et al. (2006)]]

I very much like this particular markup.

> and it will be able to deduce the ref-id page name from that,
> where the page name might be Bibliography.HawkingOthers-2006.

Since each InterMap prefix can have its own custom link function,
there should be a lot of room for code to properly deduce the ref-id,
even if there's some ambiguity.