[pmwiki-users] Fwd: RFC PmWiki Tips and Tricks

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Tue Sep 26 20:22:57 CDT 2006

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 02:44:08PM -0400, Sandy wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 10:21:23AM -0500, Ben Wilson wrote:
> > I'm still somewhat confused by this -- is "requires a script"
> > versus "doesn't require a script" a major consideration for people
> > who are trying to figure out how to get PmWiki to do something?
> > How many people come to the Cookbook and say "I want to do XYZ with
> > PmWiki, but I want the answer with (or without) an extra script?"

> For me, it's purely impressions and comfort. A line or two change in the
> config seems easier than downloading, unzipping and uploading a script
> in addition to the config.php line. I know, it's less than 10 minutes,

I see both sides here; on the one hand, I really do like the way that
the Cookbook is agnostic towards the method used to do XYZ, for several
reasons:
- it becomes the one-stop-shop when looking for how to do things that
  one hasn't found in the Documentation Index.
- as time goes on, some things which might have been add-on scripts may
  be implemented in the core (as is happening now!)

On the other hand, one might say that different recipes have a different
"comfort rating";

1) something in the core that just needs a config change
2) config change and server change
3) script written by PM (or other reliable contributor)
4) script of unknown provenance
5) instructions to edit core files (run away, run away!)

Kathryn Andersen