[pmwiki-users] bibliographies revisited

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Tue Sep 26 20:02:44 CDT 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 8:20 PM, John Rankin wrote:

> The recent discussion on adding bibliography support to pmwiki
> has died down amidst all the 2.2 excitement.
> 1. what is the downside to storing each citation in its own wiki
>    page, where the unique reference id becomes the page name?
>
>    assume we can import and export BibTeX files with such a
>    structure and can solve the issue of characters used in
>    BibTeX ref-ids that are not allowed in page names

You'd be my best friend. :P
some might consider that a downside ;)

>    our local discussions led us to the view that a page per
>    citation is the best wiki way to approach this problem,
>    but others may see issues with this approach that we
>    have missed

I see a good thing - -discussing each reference, or anything else
that can be done with a singe wiki page.  :)  Comments.  Pagelists.
Ratings.

> 2. what should the markup be to refer to a citation? options
>    (and my thoughts) include:
>
>    Cite:ref-id (behaves like a special intermap, but implies
>    [[Cite:ref-id | alternate text]] is allowed and IMO the
>    reference style should be standardised so alternate text
>    would at best be deprecated and may be disallowed)

Note -- this now becomes an accessible page variable!!  {$:Cite} also
accessible via pagelists!

I like this best.

> 3. As this represents a fairly substantial development
>    effort, is anyone able to support the development
>    cost, either in the form of money or time?

Hey, I didn't know I could ask that question!   :)  I'd like to ask
the same about the shopping cart module.  LOL

Crisses