[pmwiki-users] Fwd: RFC PmWiki Tips and Tricks

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Sep 25 13:53:34 CDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 02:00:43PM -0400, The Editor wrote:
> On 9/25/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 12:18:37PM +0100, Ian Barton wrote:
> > > I collect lots of little bits of information about PmWiki from posts in
> > > the mailing list. These are usually small titbits of information that
> > > either are not documented, or not very easy to find.
> > > [...]
> > > Would it be a good idea to create something like a Tips and Tricks group
> > > on the wiki where these bits of information could be collected.
> >
> > This is what the Cookbook was originally intended for --
> > a place where bits of information could be found.
> >
> I think this is a great idea--as many of the recipes aren't really
> recipes (as in php dropin modules).

I should note that at the time we created the Cookbook, we
*deliberately* chose the term "recipe" because we didn't want
to limit ourselves to things that are "php dropin modules".

A "recipe" is simply a way to achieve some sort of result using
PmWiki.   It can be as simple as setting a configuration variable
(e.g., Cookbook.ContentType or Cookbook.AttachLinks), or as
complex as "download and install this third-party package and
add this script" (Cookbook.PublishPDF, Cookbook.GeneratePDF,
Cookbook.MimeTeX, Cookbook.GraphViz, etc.)

> Anything to trim down the cookbook to actual "extensions" or "modules"
> will make it a LOT neater.

I'm not sure that this will be of much help -- to someone first
looking at PmWiki, how will they know if the thing they're after
is a "tip or trick" versus an "extension" or "module"?