[pmwiki-users] best practice

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 11:28:08 CDT 2006

My advice, taken with the appropriate quanity of NaCl.

I tend to think of numbering on a document level, sort of like Tex.
You have parts, sections, sub-sections, paragraphs, and
sub-paragraphs. Judging from your approach:

   * Major numbers (e.g. 1.) are Parts.
   * Minor numbers (e.g. 1.1.) are Sections.
   * Then you have sub-sections (e.g. 1.1.1).

You are breaking parts into pages. I tend to give page titles <h1>
status, which is basically how you are breaking your document into
parts. Then, page sections are <h2>. Sub-sections are <H3>. Thus:

Document = Group
Page = Part
<H2> (!!) = Section (Example. 1.1 Sub-page)
<H3> (!!!) = Sub-Section (Example. 1.1.1. Sub-sub-page).

Beyond that, I try to implement Tex-esque markup. For example,
Paragraphs are really just headed paragraphs. For example:

'''Lorem ipsum.''' Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing
elit. Morbi dictum pede non nisl. Pellentesque nec nisi. Nullam
lacinia leo nec arcu aliquam congue. Quisque ullamcorper, ante eu
porttitor porta, dui lectus blandit libero, eget congue tellus justo
in nisi. Donec vel nulla. Sed aliquet pulvinar nisi. Pellentesque a
urna. In molestie, tellus eu porttitor commodo, justo dui luctus enim,
quis varius sem mauris ornare felis. Aenean vel lorem. Sed elementum
vulputate elit.

Beyond this, IMO you do not need to further organize your document.

Regards,
Ben Wilson

On 9/25/06, Marco Ferretti <marco.ferretti at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm so happy with this tool that I am practically using it 4
> everything (thanks a lot !!!!) .
>
> I am porting a series of documents ( related to each other ) in a wiki.
>
> The documents are subdivided in paragraphs, like 1.1 1.2 1.2.1 ... and so on .
>
> My idea was to create a wiki group for each document, wiki pages for
> the paragraphs and relate the pages using a trail ( the map would be
> the table of contents of the document itself ) .
>

> So far so good  ... but what's teh best practice to handle a paragraph
> which depth is > 2
>
> MyDocument <- wiki group
>  1-  Abstract  <- Page
>  1.1 <- SubPage
>

> TIA
>

> Marco

Ben Wilson
"All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." HDT