[pmwiki-users] FAST Data Demo Site Looking Better

IchBin weconsul at ptd.net
Sun Sep 24 14:05:08 CDT 2006

IchBin wrote:
> The Editor wrote:
>> Thanks for taking a look at this.  I'm not using feeds.php or
>> upload.php so far as I know.
>>
>> And I'm not sure what you mean by "Step trace through your system".
>> Unfortunately I'm not a regular programmer, so have many areas I don't
>> know anything about.
>>
>> Anyway, still looking for a fix.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Caveman

>>> Given this at line 82:
>>>
>>> foreach(preg_grep('/^@/', array_keys($auth)) as $g)
>>>
>>> Resulting with these errors:
>>>
>>>    Warning: array_keys() [function.array-keys]: The first argument should
>>>    be an array in
>>> /home/fastst/public_html/fastwiki/system/scripts/authuser.php
>>>    on line 82
>>>
>>>    Warning: preg_grep() [function.preg-grep]: Second argument to
>>>    preg_grep() should be an array in
>>>    /home/fastst/public_html/fastwiki/system/scripts/authuser.php on line
>>>    82
>>>
>>>    Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in
>>>    /home/fastst/public_html/fastwiki/system/scripts/authuser.php on line
>>>    82
>>>
>>> $auth seems to be built in either pmwiki.php, feeds.php or upload.php. I
>>> guess you could eliminate feeds.php or upload.php.
>>>
>>> $auth seems to be built in here in pmwiki.php:
>>>         function IsAuthorized($chal, $source, &$from)
>>>
>>> Apparently $auth is not being built. Can you Step trace thru your system
>>> that is working to find out what is actually in the $Auth array? Maybe
>>> that will give you insight to what the error is in the failing system?
>>>
>>> Sorry, I am new to pmWiki and PHP.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks in Advance...
>>> IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA              http://weconsultants.phpnet.us
>>>

> Sorry I am new to this newsgroup. I live in the Java NG's but starting
> to spend a little time here.
>
> Not sure what the Net Etiquette is here but if I 'TOP POSTED' the way
> you do I would have been flamed many times over. It is very hard to go
> back, when googling NG's, when the message order is screwed up.
>
> I assume that this NG requires BOTTOM posting and not a mix of TOP and
> BOTTOM posting. As an example THIS THREAD.
>
> Yea, I have been programming\consulting 29 years and I can still just
> about spell 'debugging'.

Sorry, I did not mention what is a step trace.  Most, if not all, modern
or profession IDE's have interactive debuggers. In this case a PHP IDE
not just a PHP editor. Wikipedia has a couple of definitions:

Debugger:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integrated_development_environment

IDE:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debugger

In other words you do not try to find your error(s) by just testing
pmwiki standalone. That is, by adding code to catch stuff here and there
for what you are looking for and trying to figure out. You execute the
entire pmWiki from within an interactive debugger.

Here are two links below for just about all of the available PHP
editors. You are looking for an IDE. Look closely for editors that  have
an 'integrated debugger'. I personally I do not consider an IDE as an
IDE unless it has at least an integrated debugger, for whatever language.

PHP-Editors
http://www.php-editors.com

The Tiger Guide to PHP-Editors
http://www.midnighthax.com/phpeditors.php

In my case, I have a personal license for PHPEdit for Windoze. I also
have Eclipse for my Java environment and have added an Eclipse Zend
PHP-IDE plugin.

With respect to this problem I would run pmwiki in a debugger. I would
set places in the code, before executing, that would stop the execution
at the line of code I want. This way I can either see what var values
are at that point or to step trace. The debugger will let you (Step
Trace) execute one line for code at a time. This way I can actually see
what the PHP code is doing and the values affected..

Again I am new to PHP (month and a half) and pmWiki(month) but I have
been collecting some interesting PHP links, really for myself, but have
have put them out on my website. If interested you can find then there
on the 'PHP' menu item.

Problem is my Hosting ISP has been down for most of this week-end. I
have a FREE account with them so I am at their mercy.

--
Hope this helps...
IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA              http://weconsultants.phpnet.us

-William E. Taylor,  Regular Guy (1952-)