[pmwiki-users] Regression Testing

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Sep 24 12:56:25 CDT 2006

On Sun, Sep 24, 2006 at 05:26:59PM +0200, Nils Knappmeier wrote:
> do you use some kind of framework to run automatic tests on PmWiki, e.g.
> before publishing a new version?

I'd love to do some regression testing on PmWiki, and when I started
2.0 development I tried creating some regression tests, but I found
it to be really difficult to create and maintain the tests in any
sort of sensible form.  Testing HTML output isn't all that easy.

Originally I had a variant of the (:markup:) directive, where one
specifies the input markup followed by the HTML expected as output.
PmWiki would then run through all of the tests and report back any
failures.  But minor changes to the markup output (which don't affect
correctness) sometimes have major impacts on the tests.

At any rate, I've finally figured out (as a result of working on
Perl 6) that although I'm really good at designing and implementing
tests, I'm not so good at designing workable test harnesses.  So,
that's something I tend to try to get others to do for me.  :-|

The bottom-line answer is that no, I don't currently have an
automated testing environment for PmWiki.  But we can see about
developing one again if there's a distinct need for it.