[pmwiki-users] Newbie Problem with AuthUser and FASTMember

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Sun Sep 24 11:30:19 CDT 2006

On Sep 24, 2006, at 10:07 AM, writeon1 wrote:

> My config file now contains:
>
> $DefaultPasswords['admin'] = crypt('mypassword');
> include_once("cookbook/htpasswdform.php");
> $AuthUser['htpasswd'] = '../members.htpasswd';
> include_once("$FarmD/scripts/authuser.php");
> include_once("$FarmD/cookbook/membership.php")
>
> This results in:
> *Parse error*: parse error, unexpected T_INCLUDE_ONCE in
> */home/sanfrane/public_html/sfepm/local/config.php* on line *37**
> *
> If I comment out the 5th line (including membership.php) the site
> displays properly.
>
> What I am trying to accomplish is a password system for a public wiki
> that allows people to sign up and login by themselves, but that
> requires
> them to respond to a confirmation email to do so. I need to be able to
> blacklist or delete users if they misuse the system. After reading
> documentation and email on AuthUser, UserAuth, FASTMembership and
> others, I have become confused. I do not understand php, so I am in a
> monkey-see, monkey-do situation.
>
> Suggestions will be appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Brendan

The new recipe I added this past week will do this, but requires a
MySQL database.  I plan to add in the option for the admin to get an
email notification when someone registers.

If you prefer to do the same features with  htpasswd, I'm not sure
the email validation exists.

My recipe is the xes_authuserdbase.php recipe: http://www.pmwiki.org/
wiki/Cookbook/XesAuthUserDbase

I'd love to help someone try it out, so I can improve the
documentation where necessary.  So if you wanted to try that one, I
would help you out.  Right now this is the functionality:

user can register without admin intervention
user is sent a validation email with a link back to the wiki
this link fully validates the user to be able to log in
users can request a password change if they lose their password --
this requires another email link-back from the user
users can change their email address &/or password as they choose

I want to add an email to the site admin (or whomever is set up for
notification) either upon initial pre-validated registration, or upon
validation.  Probably validation.

I haven't thought about blacklisting users, but the user could just
log in under a different password/email.  Maybe I'll incorporate the
IP check from the Blocklist?  "Your IP is blocked from registering on
this website." type of thing.  It won't be reliable in any cases
though.  If you have a proposition for how to block undesirable
users, let me know.

As for understanding PHP, you shouldn't have to.  If the descriptions
and documentation are not sufficient, then edit the page, and ask
questions in the comments area -- or ask on list like you did :)

We may need a clarification page for the various login/password
options, to help people tell the difference between them.  Example:

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AuthUserDbase - is not a stand-
alone database option -- there is no easy way for the admin or user
to interact with the database

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/XesAuthUserDbase - is a stand-
alone database option -- the user can add themself to the database.

Admin interaction with the database is pending -- I'll have to add it
to my to-do list on that recipe.

Crisses