[pmwiki-users] Planning for 2.2.0

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Sun Sep 24 05:35:36 CDT 2006

On Sep 24, 2006, at 5:09 AM, Joachim Durchholz wrote:

> Oh, get a life. Even Notepad doesn't work that way (if it ever did).
> Even Big Blue machines come with Linux, or at least a Posix-conformant
> file system, so these systems aren't as intimately tied to fixed-
> length
> records as they used to be ten years ago.
> Sure, you might still encounter sites with "legacy" toolchains that
> limit line lengths. But even these can use a tool to convert between
> conventions.

Jo,

I don't know whether you're getting overly emotional, but I found a
couple of your comments perturbing.  While we are all passionate
about PmWiki, I ask that you please refrain from insulting members of
the group whom you disagree with.

I'm a poet.  I've written hundreds of poems.  It was a labor of love
putting them in PRE blocks in HTML back in 1996 when I started my
first (static) website and it would be a pain (before the markup for
blocks with significant line-breaks existed) to put them into the
wiki, because every line break and indeed indent is incredibly
significant.

However, PmWiki was made with many authors in mind.  When I'm cutting
& pasting from email, I'm HAPPY that PmWiki treats text the way it
does.  If you want to change the default behavior on your sites, I'm
sure that PM can give you an idea for how to do so (although I
suggest you put it into an "if not group=pmwiki" clause).  To test
out what it would do to your site try adding the (:linebreaks:)
markup to a group header (Group.GroupHeader) page and check out what
it does to the group.

You can probably change the behavior on any of your websites.
However I'm not sure I'd want it changed in the core -- I don't think
it's obsoleted.

Crisses