[pmwiki-users] Planning for 2.2.0

The Editor editor at fast.st
Thu Sep 21 23:28:14 CDT 2006

Fantastic!  Listed below are a few of my 2 cents on some of the items.
 I can't wait!

On 9/21/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> 2.  Page text variables (the {$:var} notation) will be part of the
> core.  They'll also work in pagelists.  . . . Of course, recipes and administrators
> will be able to define their own patterns to be recognized.

I will need to be able to extract values from a page in the form
field="value"

This will be extremely powerful.

> 3.  The pagelist.php script has been largely refactored to be more
> extensible.  This will enable recipe authors to more easily add
> custom filters and sources into the pagelist processing without
> modifying the core.

If possible, it would be nice to have a way to pass variables into a
pagelist template like pagelist extensions allows.  That is extremely
useful to me. You mentioned you might add that feature to core.

> 5.  There will be a "comment box" capability added into the core.
> Because of existing comment box recipes, the markup for
> comment boxes in the core will probably be something other than
> "(:commentbox:)".  I haven't decided exactly what to call it yet.
> The core commenting capability will allow comments to be added at
> arbitrary points in pages, thus it's possible to collect comments
> directly in the current page or to have comments stored in a
> separate pages.

I'd go with the easiest notation possible in the longterm interest of
PmWiki.  Kind of like emminent domain.  (:comment:) ?  Not sure what
you mean by the last part but sounds very interesting.

> 6.  There will be an UpdatePage() function available that will
> make it easy for scripts to change page contents such that
> page history, RecentChanges pages, notifications, etc. still
> take place.  (Currently this can be done only through the HandleEdit()
> function, which isn't general purpose.)

Great!  This will be very useful to the FAST Data recipe.

> 7.  A blogging module will be available.  I'm not sure if this
> will be provided by recipe or as part of the core distribution,
> but either way it'll be fairly easy to activate in the core.
> The blogging features will largely follow the description I
> gave late last year (i.e., using a (:blog:) markup to indicate
> blog pages).

I'd suggest recipe.

> 9.  It will be possible for administrators and recipes to define
> "virtual" pages; i.e., pages that always appear to exist even
> if they haven't been created yet.  This will avoid problems of
> links to non-existent category pages, etc.

Great!

> 10. The long-awaited (:input select ...:) markup will be added.
> 11. It will be easier to set default values for form textareas,
> radio buttons, and checkboxes from markup or from previously
> submitted data.

All of this together sounds like a dream wishlist.  Everything I need
all on one package.  Thanks so much Pm.

Cheers,
Caveman