[pmwiki-users] Snakles on a plane (was SpellChecker on a Farm)

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Sun Sep 17 15:56:08 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> [Does anyone besides me think "Snakes on a Plane" whenever seeing
> the subject "SpellChecker on a Farm" over and over again?  ;-) ]

Ah, finally you join our ranks. ;-)

>> Pico wrote:
>> : JB wrote:
>> : > Pico wrote:
>> : > : I revised your edit to the documentation because there was no need
>> : > : to provide different sets of include lines for farms and non-farms; all
>> : > : installs can use the same line:
>> : > : include_once("$FarmD/cookbook/spellchecker.php");
>> : >
>> : > I do not think that is right.  Sometimes a local wiki which uses farm
>> : > recipes has one recipe that only it uses.
>> :
>> : I don't agree that this (and, for that matter, every other recipe)
>> : should have two different installation instructions for farm and
>> : non-farm installs just because someone with a farm might want to
>> : physically place the recipe in a field, instead of simply invoking it
>> : from the local field config.
>> : Does anyone think that JB has the better approach here and, if so,
>> : should it be adopted for all recipes?
>
> Here's what I think:
>
> First, I absolutely do not want to see two different farm/non-farm
> installation instructions in every recipe.
>
> Almost by definition, administering a wikifarm implies that the farm
> administrator be (or become) a bit more familiar with the way that
> filesystem paths and urls work in their particular farm environment.
> So, the standard instructions for a basic recipe ought to be for the
> simple non-farm case, and farm administrators should be making the
> adjustment to use include_once("$FarmD/...") as appropriate.  This
> is consistent with the way PmWiki's documentation is set up.

FWIW, my recollection was that most recipes just use the form:

include_once("$FarmD/...

and I assumed that was simply the default format used by recipes.
An initial search to see if I just had a selective recollection revealed
  too many examples to continue after the first few letters of the
alphabetized search results.  The notable exceptions that I encountered
were JB's AdvancedTableDirectives and
SimplifiedAdvancedTableDirectives,* which use two different setf of
instructions.  While I recall seeing some recipes that do not refer to
the $FarmD, I always thought those were simply older recipes from a time
before references to $FarmD became the prevailing default format.

Pico

----

*As for me, every time I see those recipes, I keep wondering what the
next iterations may bring:

AdvancedTableDirectives
SimplifiedAdvancedTableDirectives
ExtendedSimplifiedAdvancedTableDirective
EasyExtendedSimplifiedAdvancedTableDirectives....

--

         __  /
        /   /