[pmwiki-users] SpellChecker on a Farm

Scott Connard connard at dsg-inc.com
Sun Sep 17 10:42:03 CDT 2006

Pico wrote:

> JB wrote:
>
>> Pico wrote:
>>
>>> I revised your edit to the documentation because there was no
>>> need to
>>> provide different sets of include lines for farms and non-farms; all
>>> installs can use the same line:
>>>
>>> include_once("$FarmD/cookbook/spellchecker.php");
>>>

>> I do not think that is right.  Sometimes a local wiki which uses farm
>> recipes has one recipe that only it uses. The local wiki recipe
>> can be
>> located in the local wiki cookbook directory.  Since the local
>> wiki is
>> in a farm environment using "$FarmD" will cause it not to find the
>> local recipe.  This is also confusing to new users (like I was the
>> first few months I was using PMWiki.)
>>
>> So the example you explained above works for
>>
>>     local wiki using local recipe(s)
>> or
>>     local wiki using farm recipe(s)
>>
>> but will not work for
>>
>>     local wiki using both local recipe(s) AND farm recipe(s)
>>

>> Please change it back.
>>

> I don't agree that this (and, for that matter, every other recipe)
> should have two different installation instructions for farm and
> non-farm installs just because someone with a farm might want to
> physically place the recipe in a field, instead of simply invoking it
> from the local field config.
>
> Does anyone think that JB has the better approach here and, if so,
> should it be adopted for all recipes?

My feeling is that it would certainly be nice if all recipes were
consistent.  Unfortunately the three different cases cited by JB lead
to at least two different solutions...I don't think it's possible to
engineer a single solution for all three cases.  Rather than
documenting all cases in EACH recipe, I would think we'd want to
document some standard case in all of the recipes and then explain
the other option(s) very clearly in the Wiki Farm documentation.

Since I run a Wiki Farm, using "$FarmD" makes the most sense to me -
it works for non-farm implementations and a "normal" farm
implementation where all wikis want the same standard features.  The
Wiki Farm with local features could be clearly documented in one
place in the Wiki Farm documentation.

What concerns me a little more is the need to edit the source to
change "$PubDirUrl" to "$FarmPubDirUrl" for the SpellChecker script.
Is this required for many other cookbook scripts?  Is there a way to
engineer a common solution for this problem?  Should ALL code
referencing $PubDirUrl look in $PubDirUrl first and then failing that
look in $FarmPubDirUrl (if it is different than $PubDirUrl)?

Scott.