[pmwiki-users] Commercial PmWiki Hosting?

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Sat Sep 16 00:58:07 CDT 2006

> Is there an inexpensive commercial service that hosts PmWiki
> installations that anyone is using that they are happy with? I've been
> using PmWiki for almost a year now at work and I'd like to setup an
> external personal site, but I'd rather have recommendations on a service
> to use than to just hope for the best.

I've been using http://aruba.it/ for some years and it seems to me a
good balance of "inexpensive" and "good", perhaps biased towards
"inexpensive" ;-)
For slightly more than 20 euro/year (+vat) you get all you need
http://hosting.aruba.it/hosting_con_spazio.asp?offerta=2
(actually you get a bit more
http://support.aruba.it/kb/idx/0/179/article/Supported-languages-on-Hosting-Linux.html
example: lots of languages: perl, python, php, ruby,... interesting if
you are inclined to code, i.e. you are a student).
Pmwiki is not pre-installed, but you'll manage to have it working in
ten minutes' time.

Recently one site of mines has been attacked, but:
1) I didn't yet install the patch Patrick provided (2.1.23)
2) Any site can be attacked (just one as an example
http://www.wired.com/news/politics/0,1283,36170,00.html )
Thus I wouldn't unnecessarily blame the hosting.

Up to now my (though limited) experience has been positive.

Luigi