[pmwiki-users] timing of PmWiki blogging module

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Sep 15 10:29:13 CDT 2006

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 06:46:16PM -0400, The Editor wrote:
> If the blogging recipe is really going to be out that soon, can you
> give some kind of hints what features will be available in core that
> are not currently available using one of the various blogging setups?

I can't really do a contrast with other blogging setups, as I'm
not totally familiar with them.  I can say the following:

  - Blog features will be optional (and disabled by default, but
    easily enabled with something like $EnableBlog).

  - There will be some mechanism to easily add comments to pages.

  - The main approach that blogging will use is described in
    http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/20510 ,
    albeit updated to take advantage of other features that have
    been introduced into PmWiki since that time (primarily
    pagelist templates and {$:var} page content variables).

> I'm wondering how it will affect (deprecate?) my efforts to enable a
> full commenting system in FAST Data.

Well, there are many ways of managing blogs and comments; PmWiki
will simply add its own "preferred" form.  Other recipes and
mechanisms should continue to work.