[pmwiki-users] restore

JB jbit at ev1.net
Wed Sep 13 20:47:11 CDT 2006

> > What if I have a hundred wikis on a farm?
> > Cannot restore also restore the ownership, etc
> > of the wiki.d?
>
> On a Unix/Linux system, if wiki.d/ was originally
> owned by a different account, then superuser privileges
> are needed to restore file ownerships.  (That's just the
> way that Unix works -- only superuser can change or set
> file ownerships.)

I think you are saying that the only working way of restoring
a backup from a single tar command is to either be a superuser
or get a superuser to do it for you.  You/they also have to know
how to "restore file ownerships".

I know that I am not a "superuser".  So if I need my friendly
superuser to do a restore, what do I tell him/her to do?