[pmwiki-users] Markup for Compose?

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Wed Sep 13 11:02:20 CDT 2006

Stirling Westrup wrote:
> I'm doing a survey of opinions here. Lately I've been thinking of
> writing a recipe that allows for character composition and definition of
> new character entities as one goes. I'm not sure what a reasonable
> markup would be. I'm tempted to use a backslash, but I fear it would
> interfere with existing markup. The idea would be to allow someone (like
> me) who occasionally writes in another language, but who doesn't have a
> keyboard that supports it, to insert accented and special characters in
> a simple way without cutting and pasting from a character map.

If you're willing to use the HTML special character listings by the w3c,
then it's already part of the core.

The following codes both produce a Cent mark (C with line through it)

¢          ¢
æ 	gives the ae ligature.

Given your example, I would expect ☃  to give the snowman, but
either it doesn't, or my machine doesn't support it. (I've no clue
whether it should or not. Maybe it's because x2603 isn't in base 10?
Just bouncing ideas in case one sticks.)

Check out:

http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/SpecialCharactersOther
http://pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/SpecialCharactersList
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Characters

That's guaranteed not to interfere with any recipes, current or future.

Cheers!

Sandy