[pmwiki-users] How much data can a wiki page take? (Was: Bibliographies)

Bernd Wiemann wiemann at ddz.uni-duesseldorf.de
Wed Sep 13 08:48:19 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 10:07:03AM +0200, Bernd Wiemann wrote:
>> Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
>>> Are you just trying to reduce the size of the pageindex file, or
>> afaik google indexed only the first 50 Kbyte of a page, whatever the
>> real size is... In all likelihood afterwards are no fundamental new
>> words or topics that are worth to search about.
>>
>>> to increase the speed of searches, or ...?
>> both - and third solving the problem of homonym words.
>
> Out of curiosity, how big are your pages generally?

Most articles are in the range between 5 and 12 Kbyte, but
some pages raise up to 600 Kbyte.

> FWIW, PmWiki's pageindex doesn't index *every* word in a page,
> it combines things together.  For example, if a page contains
> the words "the", "there", and "therefore", it only indexes the
> "therefore".

600 Kbyte in one page needs only a fraction of space in the
pageindex than the same 600 KByte would need if I devide the
page into 50 pages. Is that right?

Are the words only stored in the page history also part of
the pageindex?

Bernd