[pmwiki-users] Bibliographies

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Sep 12 19:20:17 CDT 2006

On Wednesday, 13 September 2006 5:59 AM, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 10:53:30AM +0200, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
>> As an aside, maybe what we really want isn't (:bibliography:), but
>> something like (:bibliography-for-pages :) that accepts any parameters
>> that (:pagelist:) does, and uses these to find the pages that should be
>> included in the bibliography.
>
>Somehow I think it ought to be
>
>    (:pagelist fmt=bibliography ... :)
>
>which lets you build a bibliography based on any pagelist
>selection
>criteria desired.
>
>Pm

I'd like to reserve judgement on this and first record the
requirements then look at markup options. I am suffering
information overload at the moment.

My initial reaction is that having a separate directive has
a number of advantages:
- it applies only to wiki pages in bibtex format
- I don't yet know whether we need to generate a bibliography
  from multiple wiki pages, or whether we should generate it
  from a single page and use (:include:) to build a bib
  from multiple sources if needed
- having (:cite:) and (:bibtex:) pair highlights their
  inter-dependence to casual authors, rather than perhaps
  overloading (:pagelist:) with options that only apply
  when used in conjunction with (:cite:)
- I think I'll need to re-interpret (:bibtex:) when
  outputting raw LaTeX so that we generate a bib file

OTOH, Pm's instincts are always sound, so I'll keep an
open mind.
--
JR