[pmwiki-users] Bibliographies

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Tue Sep 12 03:53:30 CDT 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, John Rankin wrote:

> >This works, assuming that the bibliography is on the same page as all the
> >(:cite:)-commands.
> >
> >OTOH, if the bibliography (the actual list) is supposed to be on a
> >separate page, I guess we need to somehow be able to tell the bibliography
> >directive what pages it should search for (:cite:).
> >
> I don't see the problem.
>
> When you publish multiple wiki pages,

Oh... I didn't mean when you publish multiple pages. I was thinking of a
situation like this where I've got a collection of pages about cars:

* We have pages about cars (Volvo, Saab, Koenigsegg etc) and in
  these pages you refer to other sources for more information. There is
  *not* a bibliography at the end of each page.

* A page with a common bibliography for all the car pages (Bibliography)

* A page containing the bibliography database (BibliographyDb)

When the page Bibliography is rendered, it needs to know that it should
check the car pages (Volvo, Saab, Koenigsegg) for the (:cite:)-markup in
order to generate a suitable bibliography based on the information in the
page BibliographyDb.

Here's how the directives appear in the different pages (I've modified
the syntax for (:bibliography:) for clarity):

	Volvo:
		(:cite VolvoURI :)

	BibliographyDb:
		@Misc{VolvoURI,
		  name = {Volvo},
		  URI = {http://volvo.se},
		  annote = {The URI for Volvo's main website}
		}

	Bibliography:

		(:bibliographystyle unsrt:)
		(:bibliography database=BibliographyDb \
			       page=Volvo page=Saab page=Koenigsseg :)

So here I've explicitly told (:bibliography:) where to find the database
and which pages to scan. I guess using a trail is much more convenient,
i.e. the page Bibliography could look like this:

	Bibliography:
		Bibliography for the following pages:
		* [[Volvo]]
		* [[Saab]]
		* [[Koenigsegg]]

		(:bibliographystyle unsrt:)
		(:bibliography database=BibliographyDb trail={$Name} :)

Does this make more sense?

As an aside, maybe what we really want isn't (:bibliography:), but
something like (:bibliography-for-pages :) that accepts any parameters
that (:pagelist:) does, and uses these to find the pages that should be
included in the bibliography.

/Christian