[pmwiki-users] Definition lists with multiple definitions

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Sep 9 06:40:14 CDT 2006

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 01:24:55PM +1000, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 08:20:12AM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 08, 2006 at 08:00:23PM +1000, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> > > :term:definition
> > > ::second definition
> > >
> > > While this "fakes" a second definition, it doesn't use correct HTML
> > > markup for it -- it makes a sequence like this
> > > [...]
> > > Is this possible?
> >
> > Yes, but there needs to be a space in the term for the second
> > definition; i.e.:
> >
> >     :term:definition
> >     : :second definition
> >
> > The reason is that PmWiki sees "::second definition" as being
> > a second-level nested definition list item, as opposed to a
> > first-level definition list item with an empty term.
>
> I'm afraid I get exactly the same result when using the
> "second definition" with a space in the term; it gives a div with
> class="indent", rather than additional <dd> belonging to the first term.

Odd.  On pmwiki.org, I get (http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/Definitions)

    :term:definition
    : :second definition
    :term:definition
    :term:definition
    : :section definition

I suspect there's a recipe or something on your site that is
somehow changing the definition list markup.

(I also thought that we had code in place that would prevent the
empty "<dt> </dt>" tags from appearing... but apparently I lost
that somewhere -- perhaps when the leading whitespace code was added.
I'll have to look into it a bit.)