[pmwiki-users] MimeTex

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Wed Sep 6 18:38:20 CDT 2006

On Wednesday, 6 September 2006 7:04 PM, Tom Backer Johnsen <backer at psych.uib.no> wrote:
>christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, John Rankin wrote:
>>
>>> Now that MimeTeX is working, you probably don't need to know about
>>> latexrender, which does the same thing, but calls LaTeX to render the
>>> equations, then saves them as .gif files. For an example, see
>>>
>>> http://www.wikipublisher.org/wiki/index.php?n=Wikipublisher.LatexEquations
>>>
>>><snip>
>
>As to the statement that "some equations which MimeTeX rendered
>wouldn't render in LaTeX", that may be a problem.  How big, I do not
>know.  Our needs are very simple, elementary formulas in statistics.
>So far MimeTex works well as far as I can see.

If you decide to switch in future, individual equations will either
work, or they won't.

A nice option for Mac users is the LaTeX equation editor:
http://evolve.lse.ac.uk/software/EquationEditor/

Type the equation into the window, press LaTeX and it calls
LaTeX to generate the equation -- if it looks right, copy and
paste into the wiki, confident that LaTeX will handle it.
Plus you get an image you can use in other places.
--
JR