[pmwiki-users] About {$:var} text-variables

Roman romat2 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 02:20:48 CDT 2006

On 9/6/06, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> I *really* like the idea that the {$:var} stuff uses
>
>        Name: Patrick
>        Version: 39
>        State: Texas

I like this simple syntax as well but some more explicit syntax would
be also desirable. I think we can expect quite common request to use
text variables definitions together with tables because of vertical
alignment of values or because of better styling. I doubt that this
simple syntax would work with tables, e.g.

||class=sometableclass
||Name:      ||Patrick ||
||Version:   ||39      ||
||State:     ||Texas   ||

One of J.Meiers's suggestions tries to solve this request. But there
could be other ways, e.g. separate variable definition from its
appearance. In this case, text variable definition should not appear
in the HTML output:

(:some variable definition beginning:)
Name: Patrick
Version: 39