[pmwiki-users] Bibliographies

John Rankin john.rankin at affinity.co.nz
Tue Sep 5 19:33:49 CDT 2006

On Wednesday, 6 September 2006 3:00 AM, Tom Backer Johnsen <backer at psych.uib.no> wrote:
>In connection with a book project using PmWiki I would very much like
>a solution to two problems, one that is associated with PmWiki and the
>other one that is not necessarily so.
>
>Problem 1:  The BibTexRef addin in the cookbook does not work as I
>expect, and there seems to be a bug or two there.  Are there any
>alternatives around?  I see that the file is quite old, so that might
>be it.  I am very much a newbie in respect to PhP, but I'll have a
>look at it and see if I can locate the problem(s).  But the references
>in the text and the corresponding entries in the data base are at
>least linked.  That is a good start.

I found and fixed some bugs that were preventing someone from using
it with the PublishPDF library -- the original version contains
some hard-coded HTML tags, which are easily removed.

>Problem 2:  Since there are more than one author involved, it would be
>nice for each author to be able to add references (books, articles
>etc.) to the data base placed on the same server as the wiki using
>some kind of online procedure.  Ideally, this should be integrated in
>  PmWiki, but that is probably too much to ask for.  Does anybody know
>of such a tool? Preferably using only PhP.

You may be able to use the wikiforms recipe to maintain a page for
each reference. It supports both input and output templates, so
you can use a form to enter the references and display them in your
preferred citation style.

If you use the optional form title plug-in, you can refer to each
citation by its user-defined title, rather than by its (system
allocated) unique reference number.

And if you are lucky, there ought to be a way to generate an
alphabetic list of references used in the book. And if you are
really lucky, we may be able to find a way to include this list
if you use the PublishPDF library to (:typeset-book:) --
publish your book in its entirety directly off the wiki, with an
autogenerated bibliography at the end.

If this sounds as if it might be suitable, the first step would
be to work out what the entry form should look like and how you'd
like to cite bib entries from the wiki pages themselves.

--
JR