[pmwiki-users] Adding .html . . .

Andrew Standfield andy at scruffyco.com
Mon Sep 4 13:07:19 CDT 2006

> The new group
> said that Google could not handle dynamic content and only played well
> with URLs ending in .html. As you read this, I'm sure many of you
> chuckle becuase that's patently absurd. Heck, Google even plays well
> with unClean URLs.

Actually, Google does have a hard time indexing dynamic pages. What
we're talking about here, though, is not the "dynamic" pages
something like PmWiki or blogging apps like WordPress generate. It's
*truly* dynamic pages that are created entirely from application
output. According to Google's Webmaster Guide:

"Consider creating static copies of dynamic pages. Although the
Google index includes dynamic pages, they comprise a small portion of
our index. If you suspect that your dynamically generated pages (such
as URLs containing question marks) are causing problems for our
crawler, you might create static copies of these pages. If you create
static copies, don't forget to add your dynamic pages to your
robots.txt file to prevent us from treating them as duplicates."

(http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=40349)

Also note this page: http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/
answer.py?answer=34431

Which says, "Google indexes dynamically generated webpages,
including .asp pages, .php pages, and pages with question marks in
their URLs."

Notice that even Google's own pages are dynamic (including that
page)... even more so than anything PmWiki may output. Besides,
creating dynamic content that ends with an .html extension is still
dynamic content. It's not like Google's crawler is going to come to
the page and say, "Oh... no .html, I'll ingore it," yet index the
exact same page because it has an extension.

Hell... I can't think of a "big" site that *doesn't* use dynamic
content: Google, CNN, MSNBC, Every blog you've ever read,  any
shopping site worth it's salt...  Have a look at Alexa's top 500 in
the US (http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?
cc=US&ts_mode=country&lang=none)

If I were in your shoes, I would actually prepare a response to this
outfit's claims. They sound like shysters. The client is being given
the wrong impression, and your reputation is being trampled. Not to
mention that this "group" is obviously misrepresenting their own
skill levels and understanding of the technology involved.

Andy Standfield
http://www.vertigo25.com/
http://www.ipodnirvana.com/