[pmwiki-users] PresenceAwarenessLight on AuthUser

kirpi at kirpi.it kirpi at kirpi.it
Sun Sep 3 01:29:32 CDT 2006

> Well, I now have a version that does work with AuthUser:
>
>     http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Test/Present
>
> It even works without AuthUser -- as demonstrated on pmwiki.org
> (which isn't using AuthUser).  And, as far as I know, it should
> work with UserAuth.

It seems it works, at least from the outside.
:-)
In case anybody is allowed to login, then it will show the id instead
of IP, I guess.
:-)

> In addition to the "who's doing what on the site" display, I'll
> also be adding a "someone seems to be editing this page"
> message to the edit form, so that if two people are editing a
> page there'll be a nice note saying "someone else is working on it,
> too."

Yes Patrick, I thought longer to the privacy issue.
While there are surely many sites which will benefit from having full
presence awareness, there might also be many cases where not showing
id/IP can be a safer choice.
This addition of yours will really be good.

Also (please allow for incompetence) I tried and think about server load.
While the default PresenceAwareness is working on the sidebar, and
keeps an eye to the whole site, wouldn't it be possible to add a
parameter that restricts the "eye" just to some group(s)? I can
imagine that there are cases where the presence awareness is just
required  somewhere, and not anywhere. That would probably (much)
reduce server load.

Luigi