[pmwiki-users] Archiving old/obsolete pages

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Fri Sep 1 13:06:22 CDT 2006

Sandy wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>> On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 11:40:55AM -0400, Sandy wrote:
>>> Agreed on the new improved version, and a note where to find the old
>>> page (if the old page has info that's not on the new one). That's the
>>> ideal solution.
>>>
>>> I think what bothers me about a new "group" is that that will mean a new
>>> URL, which will break my bookmark.
>> Is it still bad if the old URL in your bookmarkup automatically
>> redirects to the archived version (along with a note that the
>> redirection took place)?
>>
>> Pm
>
> I like that plan.
>
> Works if I'm using old version of software and really want the old page.
>
> Works if what I really want is the new feature that I didn't know existed.
>
> Tells me to change my bookmark.
>
> Yep, works on all levels.
>
> (Now, I don't suppose you have a quick way to go through those "hey,
> that's neat, bookmark it / move the email to the "keep" folder" entries?
> Decide which ones aren't as neat and useful as I thought, which ones I
> can use today, and which ones I should read later? Ah well, kids start
> school next week.)

Or another way...

Instead of trying to replicate things, brainstorm with some of the
cooler things that divs can do.  My latest interest is in fixed headers
and footers that never scroll off the browser edges, like your own
bookmark bar.  Check out the code and demos here (but I would never want
  such big headers and footers; they need to be as thin as possible to
hold a single row of buttons.  You populate those with pages in the site
group and allow the CSS styling to be driven from a group (in a separate
skin library), with samples to start...

Pico