[pmwiki-users] PmWiki scalebility questions (newbie)

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Fri Sep 1 12:12:23 CDT 2006

Hsing-Foo Wang wrote:
> Hi Sandy,
>
> Looks good, and thanks for adding that entry.
>
> Would it be wise to split 'depends on the server' up into 'sections' e.g.
>
> - Processor
> - Bandwidth
> - Storage
> - Markup
> - Add ons
> - etc...?

Go for it! I don't have the knowledge. Just a small user who leaves all
the server stuff to the paid provider, who changes them without my
knowledge. I'd find that list scary, so make sure it's clearly labeled
as extra details rather than requirements.

(I liked the "System Requirements" page:
<http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Requirements>
Even I could follow that.)

The main thing is, the PmWiki _core_ is _not_ the bottleneck. If you
want larger or faster, you have to change other things. And there is
help available.

 > I understand no 'exact' answers are possible, but maybe a collection
 > of 'best practises' is?

Best practices as for processor speed and memory? Not sure if that can
be done. I'd prefer an idea that was bounced around earlier, people
publishing their setups, to give new users an idea of what is possible.

Perhaps a "best practices for large wikis" page? Save folks using a
feature that they'd have to disable later.

But there are so many different users out there (check out the users
page, and look at the types of questions and answers on the list) that,
while there are some similarities, a single "best practices" page might
be unrealistic. Not that it isn't worth a shot,...

Sandy