[pmwiki-users] Use non-[A-Za-z] characters in page names?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Oct 28 13:01:49 CDT 2006

On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 07:07:41PM +0200, Thomas -Balu- Walter wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 12:34:17PM +1000, Sam Wilson wrote:
> > as I first thought!  :-)  It does everything I want (despite having
> > functions named things like SDV(); my comp sci lecturers would _not_ be
> > amused!).
>
> SDV() is a shortcut for
> if (!isset($variable)) $variable = 'value';
>
> So having it called SetDefaultValue() (or whatever abbreviation that is ;)
> would make the shortcut less effective...

Indeed, I suppose that your comp sci lecturers would say that we
always have to say "random access memory", "central processing unit",
"input/output", "compact disc", "liquid crystal display", "cathode ray tube",
instead of RAM, CPU, IO, CD, LCD, CRT, etc.  :-) :-)

Every project or field of any significance ends up having its own
set of definitions, abbreviations, and acronyms.  This does sometimes
mean that things aren't immediately obvious to someone new to the
area, but that doesn't mean they should never be used.