[pmwiki-users] Is it time for a pmwiki-devel list?

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Fri Oct 27 13:25:46 CDT 2006

On Oct 27, 2006, at 1:23 PM, Tegan Dowling wrote:

> This is why I've suggested having a bulletin board, instead of a
> mailing list.  A phpbb installation would not be a big deal to set up
> or monitor, I wouldn't think.  It would allow threads to
> self-organize, it would make it easy for people to participate at
> their level of expertise while still having an easy way to "evesdrop"
> or even kibbutz on discussions at other levels.
>
> Anyone care to explain why this would not be a good thing?

It might work for some people.  It wouldn't work for me.

I have a great email program, and I live in it.  I use it as a
partial to-do list, it has good search features, etc.  It archives,
and I take the info with me everywhere on my laptop -- and could even
put messages on my iPod if I really felt like being weird.  I can
choose whether and how to file things.

At some point some of my friends moved to live journal, and other
social networking sites.  I didn't get emails about what was up with
them, no personal convo, and they said "if you want to know what's
going on with me, come to my live journal page" -- guess what?  It
doesn't work for me.  I check 2 things constantly.  My email, and my
news reader.  There's not a single website I check constantly --
though RSS can bridge that gap.  I love RSS.  I love email.

Now if someone says "read my live journal" my answer is "send me the
RSS link". :P  I don't want to GO to the pmwiki user's forum.  I want
the pmwiki user's emails to come to me.  I'm too busy to remember to
do it any other way.

If someone created forums that resolved that problem, I'm all for it.

Crisses