[pmwiki-users] Proposal: version control for cookbooks recipes

Stefan Schimanski sts at 1stein.org
Tue Oct 24 12:23:50 CDT 2006

Hi!

There are several non-trivial cookbook recipes now on pmwiki.org. I use
a whole lot of them in my installations of PmWiki. Updating cookbook
recipes for new features, but much more important for security fixes is
very complicated at the moment. Especially if you have modified recipes
to your needs it makes a lot of work. Moreover you have to go through
all the PmWiki.org pages to look for updates once in a while (or use the
notify feature, then at least you are notified automatically)

As an example I just saw the update of the commentboxplus script of HansB by
accident. It took me quite some time to identify and apply his
(security-) fixes to my modified version, which even worse was based on
the commentboxplus2 version, juggling with patch, diff and wget.

I wonder if it would make sense to create some open repository (maybe on
sourceforge, if possible?) using Subversion. Then updating is a matter
of "svn update". How is the common opinion about something like that? Of
course one could still download them directly (with a direct http link
to the latest version in the repository) for those who don't like using
svn.

Opinions?

Stefan