[pmwiki-users] Finally ...PMWiki

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Tue Oct 24 05:52:52 CDT 2006

Nicholas Buttle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Over the past few weeks I've been trying out various
> flavours of Wiki...MediaWiki, Twiki etc etc.  None of
> them have done what I want for various reasons.
>
> At last I've found PMWiki and so far I like what I
> see.
>
> A few questions before I screw up the install...
>
> Is it possible to have custom Sidebars for each Page
> Grouping I create?  EG.  When the main page is loaded
> it the sidebar is just a list of Groupings...when a
> grouping is clicked the page changes to the main page
> of that grouping and the sidebar contains all the
> relevant pages for that grouping...

Welcome.

Yes, you can have different SideBars for each group and, for the results
you want, you can use a single SideBar whose context automatically
changes for eacg group.

PmWiki has a great feature called PageLists that is used for
automatically generating lists of pages that can be customized.

To get the results you want, you could edit the existing site-wide
SideBar (located at Site/SideBar) and use the "group=" parameter of
pagelist and specify the group to equal the currently viewed group using
the PageVariable {$Group} or, in the PmWiki 2.2.0-beta series, you would
use (*$Group} for the same purpose.

Here are some documentation pages you can take a look at

PmWiki/PageLists
PmWiki/PageVariables
Cookbook/PagelistTemplateSamples

Pico