[pmwiki-users] Skin not found in farm

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Mon Oct 23 13:00:54 CDT 2006

> From: Pico <pmwiki at ben-amotz.com>
> > From: "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com>
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 22, 2006 at 08:02:14PM -0400, Pico wrote:
> > > I installed a PmWiki farm on a new server and have separated the pub
> > > from the rest of the PmWiki files, where pub is web accessible but the
> > > rest of the files are in a directory that is not web accessible.
> > >
> > > Everything works fine until I try to change the skin, and then I get the
> > > following message:
> > >
> > > PmWiki can't process your request
> > > ?unable to find skin from list triad
> > > We are sorry for any inconvenience.
> > >
> > > I'll provide all the details if required, but first off, is there a
> > > common cause for this error?
> >
> > By default, PmWiki looks in pub/skins/triad in both the current
> > (field) directory and in the farm directory.
> >
> > If the pub/ directory is somewhere other than these two locations,
> > then the $SkinLibDirs array needs to be adjusted to tell PmWiki
> > where to look for skins (and the corresponding url to use for each).
> >
> > Personally, I find that it's easier to leave the pub/ directory
> > in the farm and then create a symlink or webserver alias to
> > make that directory accessible over the web.  But either approach
> > will work.
> >

> Thank you.  I have lots of questions....
>
> But I can spare you, for now, because it looks like many, if not all,
> may be answered by Ben Wilson's excellent treatment of this subject in
> Cookbook/WikiFarmAlternative.
>
> So, in case this thread ends with this post, I wanted to make sure that
> future readers know where I went to find answers to all my questions.
> Thanks Ben.

Ok, here is the simplest solution I found for providing security of a
PmWiki farm install:

1. Install PmWiki in a web accessible directory
2. Deny access with .htaccess to all but the pub directory
a. One .htaccess file in the directory with pmwiki.php provides the
general public denial:
   Order Deny, Allow
   Deny from All
b. Another .htaccess placed in the pub directory allows public access:
   Allow from All

>From Hans' Cookbook/FarmSecurity

Pico