[pmwiki-users] Hiearchical Groups Proposal.

Américo Albuquerque aalbuquerque at lanowar.sytes.net
Wed Oct 18 05:20:05 CDT 2006

Joachim Durchholz wrote:
> Patrick R. Michaud schrieb:
>> If GroupAttributes, GroupHeader, and GroupFooter become page metadata,
>> that would seem to imply that we need a mechanism to be able to
>> edit these metadata.  And presumably we should keep track of
>> the history for these metadata items as well.
>
> Ideally, metadata would be pages, possibly with a special marker in the
> page name so PmWiki knows that they don't get meta-metadata.

If metadata would be pages they could also have its own metadata. They
wouldn't have metadata related to pages (like GroupAttributes,
GroupHeader and/or GroupFooter)

> Downside is that if that's done to the final consequence and page
> attributes (passwords) become separate pages, too, then PmWiki would
> have to open an additional file to check view permissions. It would also
> have to do a directory search since the metadata may be stored several
> levels up the hierarchy.
> The wiki would have to have thousands of pages to make this a worry, of
> course. *And* it would have to live in a file system that does linear
> directory searches (i.e. it would have to be ext2fs, or ext3fs with no
> -O dir_index.)

That would be bad, really bad. It would make pmwiki work just on linux.
This mean that Windows and mac users would have to use older versions or
change to other wiki engine

Américo Albuquerque