[pmwiki-users] Site.EditForm

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Oct 18 01:33:41 CDT 2006

On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 04:16:25AM +0100, martrn at googlemail.com wrote:
> Is there anyway to get pmwiki installed on a
> web host that disallows rm files because of
> real media application problems.
>
> The host disallows names ending with rm or .rm
>
> The installation fails because of the files
>
> Site.EditForm
> Site.AuthForm
>
> in the wikilib.d directory.
>
> Anyway around this ?

Eek!  You mean that there's actually a web hosting firm
that disallows files ending in 'rm'?  That triggers alarm
bells in my head for some reason.  Still, we might be able to conform
to this host's odd restrictions by simply giving those two form
pages names that don't end in 'rm'.  For example, we could term
the files as "Site.EditForm0" and "Site.AuthForm0".  Then we perform
a local/config.php customization that changes the name of each form:

    $PageEditForm = 'Site.EditForm0';
    $AuthPromptFmt = array(&$PageStartFmt, 'page:$SiteGroup.AuthForm0',
      "<script language='javascript' type='text/javascript'><!--
        try { document.authform.authid.focus(); }
        catch(e) { document.authform.authpw.focus(); } //--></script>",
      &$PageEndFmt);

Honestly, I think it's silly for any web host platform
to completely disallow 'rm' -- while I grant that there may be harm
from allowing '.rm'.  In fact, as I typed this I had a little brainstorm
... perhaps the site admin is using something like /.rm$/ as a regex term
to block unwanted files, and simply forgot to escape the dot?  Hrm.
It might be worthwhile to quickly check with the site admins to confirm
that they really do intend to block files ending in 'rm', as opposed to '.rm'.

To me, this host's policy seems a bit ad-hocish, certainly not the norm,
and I'd be concerned about other things they might do that are non-uniform.

Pm

P.S.:
  My apologies for *totally* torturing this message...I'll try to reform.
  :-) :-)