[pmwiki-users] Pagelist definition problem (fixed?)

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Fri Oct 6 14:54:59 CDT 2006

On Oct 6, 2006, at 3:01 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>> I can't tell you how many times I have pulled out my hair
>> debugging pagelist templates just to finally realize I
>> forgot the expr!  I can't see that it would be intuitive
>> for newbies?
>
> Yes, I totally understand -- I constantly see people putting
> complex expressions in (:if:) and omitting the "expr", so it's
> pretty clear that people don't think to include it.

It may also be that the documentation isn't 100% clear about what
"expr" is, does, and when it's required?

1) more examples
2) more modern examples with the complicated basepage and the local
page variables -- especially cases where there are both like in my
case...
3) explicitly state that if you're combining arguments it's 100%
required?

Most of the confusion is that all the conditionals on the
conditionals page have no examples -- just abstracts.  Like the regex
one that didn't say whether it needed to be quoted or delimited....

I look at a page like that and go "wow -- all this info and I *still*
have no idea how to use it" -- down & dirty -- examples & tutorials/
how-tos.  Not abstract syntax.

It's one thing that drives me nuts about PEAR documentation.  "This
does XYZ" -- that's all well and good til you try out "This" and find
out it ought to be "thIs" :P

Crisses