[pmwiki-users] Request input on soon-coming FAST Data release

Ben Stallings Ben at InterdependentWeb.com
Thu Oct 5 09:59:18 CDT 2006

Wow!  A lot of traffic on the list since yesterday evening.

Caveman, thanks for asking for suggestions.  For what it's worth I
second all of Chrisses's suggestions: spin off optional functions into
separate files that are included as needed; provide more documentation
both in the Cookbook and in the PHP code itself; and think some more
about the ZipData name.

The reason I have misgivings about "ZipData" -- and I guess I'm on the
name-approval committee ;-) -- is that if your recipe has multiple
files, the most likely way you'll distribute them will be in a .zip
file, hence Chrisses's comment about admins "unzipping" the file before
uploading it to the server.  Back in my tech-support days I literally
spent hours explaining to users the difference between a Zip disk and a
.zip file.  Fortunately Zip disks are largely irrelevant now, but .zip
files are still with us, and I wouldn't wish that particular problem on
anyone when there are so many other names available.  :-)

My favorite name suggestion I've heard so far is DataPage -- it's
catchy, descriptive, and you're already talking about data pages in the
documentation.  So there are my two cents.

Thanks again for asking, and best wishes for the new version!  --Ben S.