[pmwiki-users] RFC -- POP3 to PmWiki

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Thu Oct 5 05:09:10 CDT 2006

On Oct 4, 2006, at 10:32 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:

>> 4) I am trying to get people to jointly edit pages, not just bottom
>> post to a page - for that I could use a bulletin board
>
> Valid point.  In 2004 we originally thought of the mail-to-wiki
> gateway because there was a lot of useful information on the
> mailing list that wasn't finding its way onto the pmwiki.org site.
> Having the gateway would make it easy for people (especially me)
> to just say "throw this content up there -- someone can come back
> and reformat it later".

Or people can peruse their own sent-mail archives and do the same for
a variety of reasons.

Say I send an announcement to one of my mailing lists -- Big Event
Coming!!  Mark your calendar!

And I want an announcement page on the wiki.  I could BCC my wiki.

I don't want to require the start/end tags.  That would have to be
optional.  Sometimes I just want the whole body of the message AND I
don't want to have to go back and re-edit, or explain to other users
that *I* have the magical ability to do this and haven't passed it
along to them. nya!

I see email->wiki as a limited tool, but a feature that would be
great to support for those of us who would find it useful.  I really
DON'T think it's meant to be a public or general use tool.  It would
be too easy to abuse.  BUT I am willing to try to make hooks for
different items.

Patrick:
You can write your end of the wiki app in Perl6, what does that have
to do with how the RECEIVING wiki processes the email.

If we make one plug-in portion for any wiki that wants to receive the
email info via HTTP -- it has to be php. -- or wiki code.  We would
send the same HTTP/POST requests to the receiving wiki(s) -- we'd
only be changing the origin of the HTTP/POST and agreeing on the same
formats and markup for the emails, to create a common API.  You can
program your email-to-external-wikis code in Perl6, I'd be developing
mine in PHP, and both can use HTTP/POST requests to get the job done.

If I can find a curl-like plug-in that doesn't require libcurl.  And
they probably exist.

How were you thinking the wiki on the receiving end should behave?
How would your HTTP/POST request authenticate and deliver info to the
receiving wiki without an API of sorts on the other end?

Crisses