[pmwiki-users] Request input on soon-coming FAST Data release

Martin Fick mogulguy at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 4 18:27:02 CDT 2006

--- "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 03:36:59PM -0700, Martin
> Fick wrote:
> > --- Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
> >
> You are trying to find out if when passed
> > by reference (i.e not copied explictly like this
> > example does) are they still somehow copied?

OK, not quite right, but according to the comments on
this page:
http://us3.php.net/manual/en/language.references.php#language.references.whatare
it is slightly slower to pass by reference (believe it
or not) which is what I was thinking of originally.

That page also has lots of other interesting comments
including...

> No, this still isn't the question.  The real
> question
> is:  if an array is passed to a function by *value*,
> is it copied at the point of the function call or
> only at the point where it's modified?

...at the point that it is modified.

Of note on this page:
http://us3.php.net/manual/en/language.references.pass.php
call-time pass by reference is deprecated!

-Martin