[pmwiki-users] Fwd: Selecting a Wiki engine...

The Editor editor at fast.st
Tue Oct 3 14:59:29 CDT 2006

On 10/3/06, David Spitzley <dspitzle at wash.k12.mi.us> wrote:
> Personally, I think the ability to nest Categories makes nested Groups
> something of a non-issue.  As was laid out in the Categories
> documentation, it's relatively simple to set up a set of genre
> Categories (i.e. drama, comedy, sci-fi, etc.) and then add each of those
> categories to a Genres category.  It then becomes pretty simple to
> navigate from a page, to a genre, to a list of all genres, and vice
> versa.  This has the advantage that where necessary a page can belong to
> multiple categories, as can any category.
>

> David

For what it's worth, Drupal uses a similar but very complex category
scheme which while powerful was confusing and tricky to get a grip on.
It was used for its menu bars, forums etc.  I don't know that it has
any features PmWiki's categories don't but it reinforces David's point
above.  Categories can be used to great effect in place of
hierarchical groups.

Cheers,
Caveman