[pmwiki-users] Find out password for one page

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Oct 2 15:46:22 CDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 04:22:30PM -0400, Crisses wrote:
>    On Oct 2, 2006, at 4:03 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
>
>      Being able to configure per-page and per-group passwords from
>      config.php has some interesting possibilities, however.  Then
>      an administrator that doesn't want authors to set passwords could
>      lock ?action=attr as described above, and maintain everything
>      through config.php (or possibly Site.AuthUser).
>
>      Question:  if we did this and if a password is set for a page in
>      both config.php and its corresponding page, which one should
>      be used?
>
>    I'm hesitant to go here.  But I think that it should be a switch in the
>    config.
>    $PasswordPrecedence = "page";
>    $PasswordPrecedence = "config";
>    (or a switch).
>    I can't see changing this and driving current admins nuts.  I don't
>    personally have a need for this feature.

Oh, the default will continue to be PmWiki's current way of
doing things -- no chance of that changinge.  I'm simply considering
offering this additional mechanism for admins that really want to be
able to control everything from a central place, as opposed to
having it spread throughout lots of page files.

Centralized access control is one reason admins choose UserAuth
over AuthUser, so it'd be nice if we could make such a feature
available w/o UserAuth.