[pmwiki-users] Selecting a Wiki engine...

Thomas -Balu- Walter list+pmwiki-users at b-a-l-u.de
Mon Oct 2 15:03:34 CDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006 at 06:50:10PM +0200, Oliver Betz wrote:
> For example, I read that Mediawiki has a "suboptimal" code with many
> globals, rather hard to maintain. Well, I have to believe it. Obvious
> for me is that Mediawiki has no option to purge the page history,
> that's a severe disadvantage for me (limited storage in hosted
> environment, maybe performance issues).

I have a few personal opinions about Pm's coding style that can be reduce
to "use 4 spaces to indent not two, damn", but that is it. (And
inline comments could be used more ;)

Pm's code is really great. It's very modular and very extensible. I've
not seen many projects where you can do so much with so little code and
so little changes / extensions.

> Security: is PHP really that bad (e.g. compared Perl) in terms of
> security? The PmWiki code didn't seem to have many security issues in
> the past. Is it written more defensive than other applications?

It's as usual - it's not the language that has security problems, it is
the code - or said other way round - the developers.

IMHO Perl is the most difficult language to read. I've used a lot of
different programming languages - starting from Basic, Logo (yes that
little turtle ;), Turbo Pascal, Delphi, C, C++, PHP, Java, etc. and some
more. Usually I get what some piece of code does even in a new language,
but I was never able to do that with Perl code (yes I know it's also
developers that write that code ;).

Did you know that Pm is a very active developer of Perl 6 (yes, the core
- not writing scripts with it ;).

     Balu