[pmwiki-users] Problems with multiple citation entries per page (Was: bibliographies revisited)

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Sun Oct 1 12:04:06 CDT 2006

On Oct 1, 2006, at 11:45 AM, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:

> Let's first figure out what the drawbacks are with not allowing
> multiple
> citations per page. Primarily I'm worried about losing
> interoperability
> with the BibTeX format.

I think multiple *citations* on a page -- as in an article which
cites several sources -- is a necessity.

I think the data storage that citations and a References page
(pagelist?) are pulled from do not need to be on a single page.
These could be a group like "ReferenceWorks".  When I was talking
about one entry per page, and the advantage of being able to have
comments &/or discussion pages on each was so that people could
discuss the reference work itself, not the article making the citation.

This is similar to what's going on on the wiki I'm currently working on.

i.e. (using normal $:Variable notation)
ReferenceWorks/LewisCS-LionTheWitchTheWardrobeThe  (or something like
that ;) )

WorkAuthor:Lewis, C.S.
WorkTitle:The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe
Copyright:1900
Publisher:Doubleday
Place:New York, NY

I forget when it was published.  But this is a for-example.  People
can add comments to the actual PAGE for the work.  The reference
(:cite Lewis-Lion:) could possibly find this page via search [in my
example "cite" uses a function where $:WorkAuthor-$:WorkTitle and it
looks for "value contains" rather than "value IS absolutely equal to"
-- assuming this is his only work title containing the word "lion"].
The markup function should include a conversion for the link to a
real link to the Bibliography output markup proper.

I do consider it necessary to be able to cite multiple works per
article.  If I put a Psych paper online and bother to use my BibTeX
references instead of cut/paste :) or start doing this more often, I
would want to cite all my sources (in APA format), or in worst-case,
have footnote links to a References page.

I can see a case for a single data/reference page for all 7 books in
the Narnia series, then again it's something a Category tag
(Category.NarniaSeries) and a pagelist can take care of as well.  We
should be able to pagelist/search for $:WorkAuthor=LewisCS.

By the way where's the $:WorkAuthor=L* ? :) :(

Crisses