[pmwiki-users] Fwd: Newsletter management

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Oct 1 10:52:08 CDT 2006

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 03:00:20PM -0400, The Editor wrote:
> On 9/29/06, Crisses <crisses at kinhost.org> wrote:
> > On Sep 29, 2006, at 12:47 PM, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> > > The other option is that FASTData could add its custom format to
> > > the set of formats that PmWiki recognizes:
> > >
> > >     $PageTextVarPatterns['fastdata'] = '/^(\\w[-\\w]*)="([^"]*)"/';
> >
> > If everything uses the same format(s) then there will be many more options
> > and PM can spend his time making pagelist group=widgets variable=A* work :)
> >

> Actually, I was planning to change the format to work directly with
> the new page variables.  It's an easy one line change in the recipe.
> But the problem is I have 400 member pages already.  That's a lot of
> search and replacing, to change their format!  :)

So, do it over time.  Get FASTData to accept input in both
formats, but only save data in the new format.  As members update
their pages, it'll automatically go in the new format, but you
don't have to coordinate the switchover in a single step.

The typical approach is "be liberal in what you accept, strict in
what you produce".