[pmwiki-users] Newbie Installation Question

Sandy sandy at onebit.ca
Thu Nov 30 19:32:35 CST 2006

David Bengtson wrote:

> Thanks for the commentary. No, I'm not editing the pmwiki.php source,
> I'm editing /local/config.php, which seemed to be the appropriate local
> file.

Yep, it is.

> I was going to install the Gemini skin to use, and haven't
> uploaded that yet. I'll look through the docs per your suggestion.

I haven't used it, but Gemini looks very versatile. And even if it won't
do quite what you want, skins are pretty easy to tweak. (Gemini is also
one of the more complicated skins to tweak, simply because of all its
options, but a skin is basically an HTML/CSS page with extra code to
tell PmWiki where to put things.)

> As far as editing /local/config.php, I was going to configure
> an editor to remotely edit /local/config.php, but I'm curious as to
> creating any security holes when I do that. Any comments?

I don't know about other editors, but on my host I can edit text files
through CPanel's File Manager. (cPanel is the account administration
package.) Very bare bones editor, but if you're on the road it's better
than nothing. At home, my FTP client associates .php files with my text
editor. For those with shell access, there are probably many more options.

There was something earlier this year about configuring pmwiki to edit
text files, but I don't remember what the result was.

Sandy